As winter sets in across Colorado, residents may want to know of an apparently recurring problem with a popular brand of electric blanket that could cause serious personal injury and property damage.
According to one woman's complaint against Sunbeam, there have been multiple incidents reported to the company that suggest that an electrical component of the blanket known as Circuit 104 can malfunction, causing the blanket to catch fire. The suit claims that despite collecting information on the functionality and safety of the blanket since 2000, Sunbeam has issued no warning to customers or implemented a recall of the defective product.
The woman claims that the Sunbeam brand electric blanket she was using in March 2011 caught fire without warning, caused burns to her knee and damaged or destroyed some of her personal belongings. Her complaint is seeking more than $75,000 in damages, as well as non-economic damages, court costs and interest from Sunbeam. The circuit in question is designed to prevent the blanket from catching on fire.
Manufacturers that create consumer goods must carefully evaluate every product to guarantee the safety of those who purchase and use them. In this complaint, Sunbeam is described as exercising willful disregard for the safety of the public, and it is claimed that the company's actions are malicious in nature.
Colorado residents need to stay aware of defective product claims that may affect their family or property. The malfunction of an electric blanket that someone is sleeping under could prove fatal. In situations in which a product injures a consumer, a personal injury lawsuit could lead the manufacturer of that product to be ordered to make financial restitution for damages associated with product malfunction.
Source: The Madison-St. Clair Record, "Woman sues Sunbeam over electric blanket that allegedly caught fire," Bethany Krajelis, Nov. 29, 2012