Safety remains a constant concern for many avid cyclists, and the process of promoting a safer riding experience could consist of various stages. Knowing traffic laws and some of the risks you might face prior to heading out on Colorado roads can be beneficial, as can equipping the necessary safety gear.
Before you begin the journey, it could also be in your best interests to inspect your bike to ensure it is in proper working condition. Whether you plan for an all-day ride or an hour of exercise, the condition of your bike could have a significant influence on your ability to safely navigate the open road.
Whether you recently pulled your bike out of the garage for spring or use it as a means of travel year-round, performing frequent maintenance could prove imperative. Some tips to help keep your bike in proper working condition could include:
- Cleaning routine: Cleaning your bike could help remove dust and grease and keep such issues from adversely affecting its condition.
- Handlebars: As the condition of your handlebars can also impact your bike’s maneuverability, performing maintenance on this part could also prove vital.
- Tires and wheels: Inspecting the tires, wheels and spokes of your bike may also help you identify safety issues, such as inadequate tire pressure and loose spokes.
- Brakes and chain: It may also be in your best interests to perform maintenance on and lubricate your bike’s chain, and check the brake pads and replace them if necessary.
- Test ride: After working on your bike, it could also be helpful to take it for a test ride to ensure it operates as intended, as this could help you identify any issues that may remain.
While bicycle maintenance may be one stage of doing your part to promote a safe journey, a portion of your safety may rest in the hands of others, some of whom might not approach such a topic with the same level of attention.
When a crash occurs
It is no secret that bicycle-related crashes can have catastrophic repercussions. While taking every possible measure to improve your safety as a cyclist can be beneficial, you cannot control everything that happens on the open road. Should the negligent actions of another party cause a collision to occur, leaving you with serious injuries, you could face a variety of challenges while on the road to recovery, physical, financial and emotional alike.