Former Insurance Defense Attorney Turned Personal Injury Attorney

Do men or women drive drunk more often?

Take a moment to imagine a drunk driver. Were you thinking of a male driver? That's often the stereotype, and there's a reason for it: Statistically speaking, men are caught while driving under the influence more often than women.

That said, one worrying trend shows that women are slowly becoming more involved. For example, about 90 percent of drunk drivers who were arrested -- the only way to really measure the prevalence of drunk driving, though there were certainly many who did not get arrested -- were men. The other 10 percent were women.

Fast forward to 2011. That year, about 75 percent of drunk drivers were men, while about 25 percent were women.

So, while men are still the high-risk group by a long shot, making up three out of every four drunk drivers, women have been closing the gap.

Why is this? It's hard to know for certain, but experts do have some theories.

One is that teen trends may play a role. The divide isn't nearly as large, with drunk teen male drivers just slightly more common than female drivers.

Another theory involves the changing roles of women in society and the workplace. Positive advancements in these areas mean that women are more likely to have jobs and active social lives, as the stereotype of the housewife who stays home alone all the time has declined. While that's certainly positive, it could mean that women with a drinking problem would have stayed home in the past, but they won't today.

The fact of the matter is that drunk drivers remain a serious threat on the roadways of Colorado. If you've been hit and injured, you must know all of your legal rights.

Source: Guardian Interlock, "Guys vs. Gals: Who is at a Higher Risk for Driving Drunk?," Charles Hickman, accessed Aug. 31, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Bicycle Friendly Businesses
  • BBB Rating: A+
  • AV Martindale-Hubbell Attorney Reviews and Ratings
  • Colorado Courts
  • Colorado Bar Association
  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Wyoming State Bar
  • SL badge
Email Us For A Response

Get The Advice And Help You Need

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Don’t Know Where To Start? Check out these free Resources

Learn what you need to know before signing any settlement agreement from the insurance company. Attorney Bryan VanMeveren created these self-help guides to easily walk you through the process of recovering fair compensation.

South Office
2038 Caribou Drive
Suite 101
Fort Collins, CO 80525

Phone: 970-372-0149
Fax: 970-495-6854
Map & Directions

Old Town Office
123 North College
Suite 112
Fort Collins, CO 80524

Phone: 970-372-0149
Map & Directions