Why you need uninsured motorist coverage

On Behalf of | Aug 10, 2018 | motor vehicle accidents

When you get behind the wheel to go to work or school, you are in more danger of being involved in an accident than any other time of the day. Driving is a dangerous activity that takes the lives of thousands of people across Colorado every year. All drivers are required to have insurance if they want to drive. Some don’t have insurance and it’s a risk they take. That’s why you need uninsured motorist coverage.

You and the passengers in your car will be covered for various expenses when involved in a crash with an uninsured motorist if you have uninsured motorist coverage. Your policy will cover you for lost wages, pain and suffering and medical expenses. This type of coverage will also ensure you are taken care of should the accident involve a hit-and-run.

The same can be said if you are involved in a crash in Colorado with a driver who does not have enough coverage to pay for the damage caused in the crash. The driver’s insurance company will pay what the policy offers but no more. This is when your own insurance policy will kick in and pay for the remaining damage, whether that is for medical bills, lost wages or property damage.

Most uninsured/underinsured motorist policies will have set limits. For example, your policy could have a $15,000 limit per death or bodily injury per person. The other limit could be $30,000 for death or total bodily injury per accident.

Uninsured motorist coverage is an important part of your automotive insurance coverage. It protects you when in a motor vehicle accident in Fort Collins with a driver who is either uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance coverage.