Even with many years of experience, driving in rush hour traffic is always a challenge. In addition to making all the right decisions inside your vehicle, you never know if another driver will make a mistake.
There are a variety of rush hour driving safety tips you can follow to avoid trouble. Here are five of the most important:
- Review your route: A simple change to your route can go a long way in helping you avoid rush hour traffic. Even if it takes you longer to reach your destination, it may be the better option if you’re able to avoid extreme amounts of congestion.
- Leave more time: One of the biggest mistakes you can make in rush hour traffic is getting ahead of yourself. For example, if you’re running late for an early morning business meeting, you’re more likely to take risks on the road. And doing so is more likely to result in an accident.
- Become a defensive driver: Aggressive drivers, such as those who speed and yell at others, are more likely to cause an accident. When you take a defensive approach, it’s easier to spot and avoid trouble.
- Leave more space: When traffic is moving slowly, it’s easier to drive closely to the vehicle in front of yours. Doing so can cause an accident, as you don’t have as much time to stop in the event of an emergency. Even if you only add another car length, it can be the difference between an accident and avoiding trouble.
- Stay where you are: It’s natural for you to want to move from one lane to the next, searching for the one that is moving fastest. Doing so is dangerous, as each lane change puts you at risk of an accident.
When you follow these rush hour driving safety tips, you’re in better position to avoid an accident and reach your destination safe and sound.
If another driver causes a rush hour crash, such as someone who was texting and driving, make sure you learn more about your legal rights in Colorado. There are many ways to hold the negligent party responsible for the accident, which positions you to receive compensation for any damages you incur.