Imagine you are involved in a car accident. In that moment and for some time after, you will probably feel a wide range of emotions, including shock and uncertainty. But if you are able, there are certain actions that will make it easier to take care of things going forward.
Taking Basic Steps
Your first priority after a car accident is your health. If you are hurt, getting medical attention is the most important thing to do after a car accident.
Other basic steps to take after an accident include:
- Getting the name and contact information for the other driver in the accident
- Exchanging car insurance information with the other driver
- Reporting the accident, both to the police and to your insurance company
- Taking pictures of the vehicle damage and your injuries
- Reaching out to an experienced injury attorney to evaluate your case
Avoiding costly mistakes
If you are well enough or sometimes even if you are not, the other party, insurance company or investigators may approach you to speak with you. Do not speak with them, provide written statements or sign anything. Your only obligation is to cooperate with the police investigating the crash and your insurance company.
It is critical to avoid making any statements that could hurt you. It is always best to let your attorney do the talking.
Do not admit fault.
Do not admit fault or apologize for anything. Speak only after you speak with an experienced attorney, and only if they advise you to.
Avoid speaking at all, if possible.
Refuse to speak with the other driver’s insurance company and let your attorney do the talking. Remain calm and understand that insurance companies do not represent your best interests.